Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Pixar List

I was reading an article I found via IGN that listed the Pixar movies from worst to best.  I believe I agree with some of their selection but I would have a different order.

1.Toy Story - The #1 spot was probably hardest to fit in.  Pixar has really put hit after hit after hit out and its difficult to figure out which one is the best.  Toy Story started it all, it really needs its props, if it were not the good story telling and animation then Pixar would be sunk.  It's context in time, its foundation of what was to come make it most likely to be #1. 2.Wall-E - This is definitely one of the best.  When you can take a movie and put no dialog and people still are flocking to see it you know it was made for success.  This movie is one that tugged the heart strings, and even gave you the ending you expected.  The animation and direction was so stellar it definitely deserves this spot.
3.Monsters Inc. - I always thought this was one of Pixar's best, although I see that not everyone agreed.  The animation was beautiful, one that no one could match when it came out.  The voice acting was awesome and the overall flow of the movie was solid.  The only bad thing was the end, what happened to boo and Sully in the final scene, what was to come?  Hopefully a sequel will tell the story but even if we never know it still wins a top 3 spot in my heart.
4.Ratatouille - I believe this was one of the pinnacle movies for Pixar.  At this point everything they touched was gold.  I think that people were expecting this flick to fail.  I don't remember the movie being as pushed as the others in the past.  This movie was even better than expected, one that I can see having more stories to tell.
5.Up - One of the only cartoons that brought me to the verge of tears.  The beginning of this movie really made you think about how quickly life comes and gos and so do some of your dreams.  There are so many elements to this movie I don't have time to really explain them all, but this could easily be a top 3 pick for most people not here because I love Monsters Inc and Wall-E way too much.  But it was still a good delivery for Pixar.
6. Finding Nemo - Another surprise hit for me but I really didn't understand the concept through the commercials.  I knew it was Pixar which was good enough for me to go see it.  I was impressed.  The visuals are truly stunning and this became the movie that said Pixar was not even close to being finished.  It could have moved up but this movie came out during my sons infancy so I saw this movie everyday and everynight, but to show its test of good quality, now that its been a couple of years since I have seen I can now watch it again. 
7. Toy Story 2 - This was one of the risk of Pixar.  Sequels are hit and miss, this definitely was a hit.  I would have liked it more but I did not like Jessie, maybe I am the only one but she really annoyed me...
8. The Incredibles - This really belongs in its own category.  This is almost a Pixar 2 or some other studio.  The story telling was completely different and even the graphics took a different turn.  This was a better movie than an 8 but that is because it doesn't fit what Pixar has been doing.  Even at that it was a great movie another great win and with the extra benefit of Boundin' (probably the best short Pixar has ever done) makes this a must have movie.
9. A Bugs Life - This movie really has a bad rep of course it came out between Toy Story and Toy Story 2 so its chances of being a stand out was little to none.  This was a great story and great animation and was one of the first to have to stand out to other computer animated movies.  It definitely exceeded any other offerings but being the middle of two other great movies made it not able to stick out.  This would be another great sequel and might show how good the original is but I don't see it getting that type of treatment it will always be a small diamond amongst the huge diamonds.
10. Cars - This was and remains my least favorite Pixar flick.  The funny thing is that it is still awesome.  Of course it did well in theaters but it really was not what I expected.  I couldn't imagine a movie about cars who talk it just didn't fit but somehow Pixar made it happen.  Even though this is still a great movie, I am not looking forward to its sequel.  I hope that this sequel will not be the one that starts its downfall because I still enjoy the stories and look forward to so many more to come.

For the article that I refer to go to: http://techland.com/2010/06/21/toy-story-3-vs-wall-e-vs-incredibles-so-whats-the-best-pixar-movie-anyway/

What is your list?

What do you think?



No comments: