Sunday, February 19, 2017

Stillness Experiment - Day 4-6

I thought I was looking from the peak but realized I was just in a valley and the peak was still in front of me. I am embarrassed to say that I become increasingly more inconsistent and allow time to get away from me. I over schedule myself so when my apple watch clicked for me to do an exercise I ignored it figuring I can just do it later. Once one day slipped the others fell like dominos.

Practice stillness prayer for 20 mins a day
Day 4
Stillness was in between a busy day. I took sometime to sit but like the first day I was easily distracted. I continued to rest, mind get busy and go back to my to do list. It was very unproductive.

Day 5
Friday I had a youth activity that evening so I took a while to rest. I spent a long time in silence and listening. I realized that I have allowed a lot of my schedule to control what I do. When I get a break, I am exhausted and try to catch energy to go to the next thing. It taught me to realign my schedule and find a better balance.

Day 6
Another full day. I did not get my 20 mins today

Solitary walk ride for at least 20 mins a day & Practice Lords table as family each day
Both of these practices were not done. Even though it was scheduled, my calendar went off while I was doing something else and never got back to doing either one.


Go on creative adventure
Day 4
Watched Abstract on Netflix. The show is about art and the first episode was on a The New Yorker artist Christoph Niemann. They series documentary showed how the cover had to change specifically in terms of the digital magazine and how the digital magazine expanded the physical magazine. It was pretty interesting watch him make the transition. Magazines are loosing sales and The New Yorker had to innovate to keep the interest of its subscribers and it was really unique way of showing how they accomplished that. It reminded me of the church and how we need to continue to stretch ourselves and innovate to reach the upcoming generations.

Day 5
This was a day of play. After a long night of serving the homeless, I came home and played video games with buddies from Kentucky. I had my friend and my son at my house and played against 3 others. This was a reminder that we need to take time and have fun and fellowship. It was well worth the investment in friendship and in the case of my son, a place where we connected.

Day 6
Put together a bed. For me this helped me "complete" something. Right now I have so many open ended projects that I felt unaccomplished. I woke up and decided to go into the extra bedroom where 3 unopened boxes sat and decided to make it my goal to complete. After it was complete, the boxes removed the room looked like a regular room. This became a reminder that sometimes we need to complete the task in front of us. Many times I give up on task and choose an easier route but to accomplish the right task yields better results.


No comments: