Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Snake Killer?

Several months ago I mentioned our cat Mouse, and his talent of killing mice and birds. THe running total has changed slightly and the mice still have one escaped and all the birds have not made it including one that was found without a body, just a head (and to this day we still have not found the body).

Recently Mouse has taken it easy. Mice have not entered, been tortured, and died in the house for several weeks but a new discovery was found.

Saturday morning, Malachi and I were watching TV while Elizabeth was off taking a test. I walked to the porch and was amazed to find a snake. You know that I am terrified of mice and probably more so of snakes so I was not real happy to find one outside. I grabbed a broom stick, again Malachi jumping around that a new creature might enter the house, held him back, and opened the door.

STOP: It did come to me that I gave the snake access to our house, and it did occur to me that if he got in I would be helpless to find it and take it back outside. But I couldn't let a snake stay on the porch... and yes it did occur to me that I was putting my son in a little danger of a snake bite BUT

I poked it with the broom to see if this snake was alive. One poke and no movement, but I have been dooped by creatures before and decided for another poke...again no movement. After a moment or so I decided that the snake was dead and I was able to get the dustpan and give it a nice sling into the back yard. I also realized that I taught my son its OK to poke snakes...

I got to thinking...Did Mouse find a new prey? How was that battle created? When the mouse bit Mouse, Mouse ran like a little girl. Did he have Domino and the dogs for back up? (even though they are all chicken) Was it even Mouse?

I was left with many questions and a lot more fear. I definitely don't want a snake coming into the house...

No comments: