Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Most Anticipated Movies of 2008

This year, is an exciting year in movies. There are some comeback films, some reboots, and some originals that make this years movies selection hard to pinpoint anticipation. But I have narrowed it down to 5 picks, that I am willing to fork out the $8 (plus food) to see on the big screen.
The Dark Knight: 1 of the last 2 movies with Heath Ledger, plus the return of Christopher Nolan and Christian Bale. The first (Batman Begins) was a good refreshing taste of the franchise since Tim Burton's Batman Returns. At first I was a little skeptical of Heath Ledgers portrayal of the joker (I mean seriously who can out do Jack Nickelson) but his new take is almost looking at a different character. If I go in thinking a new character with same name then I think I might buy into his new persona. I think Heath Ledger is a talented actor and picks wisely so I don't think I will be disappointed.


Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince: I absolutely loved the first two movies, then liked the following two movies and again enjoyed Harry Potter and the Order of Phoenix. I really got into the books at this point (Harry Potter and the Order of Phoenix), and fell in love with last two books. I love how they were getting darker in its nature and the writing was more intense. Because of the previous movie fitting to well in the franchise and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows being split into two movies, I feel that this movie will have to be in depth, well filmed, and filled with excitement, highlighting some foreshadowing circumstances. I also love that the key actors have come back to finish the series, I think this will be a must see for the year 2008 as it will be the beginning of the end for the franchise.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull: Harrison Ford coming back as Indiana Jones with the involvement of Steven Spielberg and George Lucas....well really enough said... but just in case that answer doesn't satisfy: I was 10 years old when the last movie was released and was disappointed that the Indiana Jones adventures would come to a close. Sure they tried the Young Indiana Jones series but it wasn't enough so after almost 20 years of waiting it has finally come and it looks pretty good, adding Shia LeBeouf as "Indy's Son" seems to be a nice touch. The only real downer is that Shawn Connery is not returning maybe we can hope for a surprise cameo. This movie really intrigues me because I see it as a possible movie that will reboot the franchise but not with Harrison Ford as the lead character but I can see Shia LeBeouf taking it over and really doing something spectacular with it. It will almost be changing the roles Shia to Harrison, Harrison to Connery. I dont know but it will be a good one to see, and I am all for a franchise reboot as long as its not like Episode I,II,III of Star Wars...blech!!!
Juno: I have already seen this BUT I was anticipating it. I loved the movie Saved! even though the people involved with this movie were not connected with that movie they seemed similar, but they were quite different in the approach of the movie. This is a young girl, gets pregnant and you see what she thinks and feels throughout the movie, Saved! seemed to be the internal struggle of a young girl being involved with a Christian School. Well I don't have much to say but you can see my review of the movie here.
Wall-E: I love Pixar they have not come out with a movie that I haven't loved. I own all except for Bugs Life (just because I can't find it). This is a story thought of with the original ideas of Toy Story, Monsters Inc. and Finding Nemo. The trailers look great and even though there is not to much to assume about this movie, because of the story lines that are created by the writers at Pixar, I don't see anything but a successful portrayal of a robot who cleans up trash on a post human earth.

The movies that were denied from the cut but almost as equally anticipated are: Iron Man, Prince Caspian, Hellboy II, The Incredible Hulk.

What are your thoughts? Do you agree, disagree? What are the 5 most anticipated movies you are looking forward to in 2008?

No comments: