Monday, May 12, 2008

Stupid Chipmunk

If you ever read this blog you sometimes here about my cat Mouse. He has become quite the hunter!!! He kills about 1 mouse a day and has eaten a couple of birds along the way. There have been 3 animals that have escaped the mighty grasp of the mighty Mouse!!!! The latest is one that I thought I would NEVER had to deal with. It was a stupid Chipmunk!!!

On Saturday I saw an object being chased in the bedroom. I thought it was a mouse and couldn't find it so I thought I would set a trap (although I forgot to) and try to get it. The cats went after it but once I was looking for it they seemed to loose interest.

Sunday rolled around, my son and I were watching t.v. I saw the cats getting kind of crazy and from behind the bookshelf ran out a brown flurry chipmunk... and went right under the love seat. I totally was at a loss for words. I really wasn't sure what to do at this point but I noticed that the love seat was next to the sliding door so I came up with a NO FAIL plan. I put the cats in a room and got Malachi on top of the couch. I opened the sliding door and then very carefully tipped the love seat over. The chipmunk ran straight for the door took a right turn through the gate (separating the dogs from our bedroom) ran underneath the bedroom door right into our room. Unfortunately the door was closed so I was not sure where the chipmunk went.

Again I was lost, not sure what to do. I got into the room with a flashlight and looked through every crack before I would destroy the bedroom. He was no where to be found. My next plan was to start the destruction process beginning with the bed.

SIDE NOTE: Malachi was again very excited, jumping up and down trying to help me look for the chipmunk. Unfortunately I had to be firm because I was afraid that he might get bit but he stayed on the couch very excited about the prospect of seeing Daddy battle this new foe.

I destroyed the bed. I took both mattresses out, and with a broom rumished through the contents on the floor. I was scared to death, thoughts of a rabid chipmunk going for the neck surrounded my head... but there was nothing. I checked two or three times. Then I looked behind the t.v. and again saw nothing. Then I glanced at the closet but didn't really didn't see it and I was pretty sure he wasn't in there.

I called my Dad to tell him about my little adventure and that I was at a lose as to what I should do. He told me I should take his 16 yr old beagle to try and track him down. So there I was with a beagle, two terriers, and two cats trying to hunt down this little animal. The beagle was scared out of its mind and was not able to function in the room. One terrier did not dare come in and the other terrier is really stupid and thought I was playing a game.

I proceeded to look in different places, I was getting desperate. I sure could not even put Malachi to sleep or go to sleep knowing there is a deadly Chipmunk on the loose. I decided to look underneath the dresser that holds the t.v. one more time and saw something running. I was pretty sure that I could not get him so I decided to get Mouse to lure him out from behind the dresser. Mouse was uninterested but decided to stay by the dresser and then he saw it. He chased it and the chipmunk came from underneath the dresser and straight into the closet. Mouse lost him and I could not get Mouse to go in the closet after him.

Our closet has A LOT of stuff in it. It has the remains of what was left at the old apartment when we moved and is piled up in the closet. The chipmunk had a lot of places to run. I found a snow glove and put it on...

ANOTHER SIDE NOTE: Just for an imagine of what this looked like, I was at home with just shorts (no shirt), no shoes, and one glove. Plus I was sweating profusely because I was not sure what to do.

Anyway, it was time for me to go after this chipmunk. Again Malachi exciting and taking in everything that was about to happen. I was a little overstressed and had trouble containing my emotions. As I was carefully ripping the closet apart, I was saying some choice words. Not the full blown words but the "Christian" version. As the chipmunk went through the closet I had lost him. I basically took everything out of the closet. There was a box of books that I took out in order to see the back of the closet. I saw nothing, this demonic Harry Potterish chipmunk disaperated in front of me...

I saw the books and decided I would look in there to see if maybe the chipmunk left some evidence as to where it had gone. As I took the first book out (with my glove) I saw it move. I decided that it was not a good idea to go any further (it was looking at my neck). I went to the door opened it up, carefully took the box outside. I slowly took out books until most of them were gone. I tipped the box over and there was....NOTHING!!! I was shocked, I decided to move the remaining books until I saw it run out on the porch. (I peed myself a little)

So the chipmunk got away unharmed, but now I had a destroyed room, an overexcited little boy and a disappointed cat. It was a long night...

I also forget how impressionable my 3 yr old is. After everything was over and I was putting the closet back together, Malachi yelled, "I am going to get the FREAKIN Chipmunk" which I was like dang as I lowered my head. I did laugh but then said I was sorry for saying that and he shouldn't say it either. Fortunately Malachi sometimes listens and never said it again. :)

**SORRY THIS HAS NOT BEEN PROOFREAD I AM AT WORK, ALSO I WILL POST PICTURES (OF THE AFTERMATH) LATER**

1 comment:

Heather said...

I loved the part when you peed yourself! I peed myself laughing at it!