Monday, April 07, 2008

World of Warcraft

Right before I moved out of our old apartment, my wife decided to get me a gift. It was Warcraft battle chest. She bought this thinking it was World of Warcraft, which I had been obsessing over for some time. I laughed and took back Warcraft Battle Chest and got World of Warcraft Battle Chest.

I am not a big RPG guy, in fact I kind of hate them. I use to constantly make fun of my younger brother because he loved them. It was mostly the fact that I didn't understand them. To many numbers, to many "rules". Then I went to college and met Mike Sanchez.. Mike and I had lots of things in common, but mostly he likes Ale81 and a friend to Ale8 is a friend to me. He invited me to play Magic. I have heard of magic and all the satanist views around it so I was intrigued to give it a whirl. So I signed up for Magic: The Gathering Online. He hooked me up with the elves pack which was a great start but from the very beginning he whooped up on me. It would take a while before I would gather my first win. At one point there were several people on Magic but the interest has died down some and not even I go on to play anymore. I hope someday we get back just for fun times but now the game lay on my laptop waiting for the next time to open.

After getting hooked on MTGO, I was invited to a release party for the new MTG cards. I forgot what they called them but the point was to pick go through some pack of cards and pick out one card you liked and pass it on. I didn't know what I was doing so I was very vulnerable and like a new guy playing poker was taken advantage off. I think it was double elimination and I was the first one out.

With all that said, I started to enjoy the games because of the interaction that came along with it. We talked, laughed, and beat each other up...well not really but we had fun. When my brother told me that he was playing World of Warcraft I decided that I would like to try it.

I tried playing, with the purchase of the game you were given a month of play time. It was not fun, I was in the process of moving and had no Internet, so playing was difficult because it was usually playing at the local Panera. Nothing can make you feel more like a nerd than playing WoW at Panera!!! With the added frustration of having to type code to respond to a group, person or community I decided that I was not fit for WoW at that particular time.

Months have gone by and I have threatened to play several times but finally bought a game card to try it for 2 months. This past weekend was WoW opportunity for changing my mind. I had previously bought an adapter for my computer that allows my Xbox controller and microphone to be used in the game with the help of switchbade. With the ability to talk rather than type it made the experience more enjoyable. I was able to talk and have fun and at the same time was able to be helped in the game (before I would lose a person and by the time I figured out how to type and get it on the board they were far away from me).

I am starting to have a better understanding of the game and had a lot of fun. Saturday night I went to bed at 1:00 AM which I have not done for some time.

I can see how these games can take up your life. It was past 12 before I ever knew it. I enjoy the game and think it would be a great game on the weekend after Malachi goes to bed. I am excited about playing again although my Xbox was neglected.

No comments: